Topic: Creating a List of Online Math Tutoring Sites
Replies: 17   Last Post: Dec 9, 2012 1:10 PM

Wayne Mackey

Re: Creating a List of Online Math Tutoring Sites

Jonathan,

We had a nice little scandal at UofA. A student set up shop in a
popular beer joint with only his laptop. Students taking freshman
math courses would come to his table, pay him, and he would do their
homework and take their quizzes for them. Since the questions are
trivial, he made good grades for them. Very neat little business. He
was eventually caught and fined and when the story was reported in the
newspaper, the university lowered the percentage of the grade that
came from homework but it still was part of their grade. Getting
caught was unusual, perhaps unique, but the notion of having the
teacher or a tutor or someone else helping you get the homework done
is pervasive. I gave a talk about the relationship between grades and
assessment of student learning as specified in Beyond Crossroads in
Minneapolis in which I told a bunch of anecdotes like that one. As
done now grades are essentially meaningless as assessments of student
learning.

wayne