Topic: More dumb question on hypothesis-testing: Symmetry of Ha.?. Sample size.?
Replies: 16   Last Post: Dec 31, 2010 7:55 PM

bacle

From: nyc
Registered: 6/6/10
Re: More dumb question on hypothesis-testing: Symmetry of Ha.?. Sample size.?

> Bacle said: Posted: Dec 8, 2010 10:50 AM
>

> As far as I know, the alternative Ha dictates the
> choice of confidence interval: one-sided if Ha is of
> the form: Ha: Mu<m or: Ha: Mu>m
> And the interval is one-sided if the Ha is of the
> e form: Ha: Mu =/ m. But I would wait for more
> qualified people to reply here if I were you.
> ________________
>
> My response:
>

> If I were you I was very careful in order no to say
> nonsense.

But apparently you would not read carefully-enough:

> a) Where you got the *singular* idea that Ha
> determines the *Acceptance* Confidence Interval end
> points since the Test Statistics Distribution for H0
> true is the only statistical tool to define the tails
> so, the decision points?

I never said, nor implied that. All I said was that
the form of Ha (which itself depends on the form of
Ho ) indicates whether we will use a 1-sided interval
or a two-sided interval.

> The Test Statistics Distribution for Ha (which never
> plays a role in Hypothesis test) leads to evaluate
> Beta: the probability of accepting H0 WHEN Ha IS
> TRUE, the Type II error.
> b) Who did said you that Ha: Mu =/ m which leads
> to H0: Mu = m which?s a TWO TAILS *ACCEPTANCE*
> INTERVAL not one tail as you wrongly thinks?

Yes, this is a mistake I made. I think if you read
my post, it is clear that I meant to say that a
statement Ha: Mu=/ m goes together with a two-tailed
test, given that I said you use a 1-sided for
Ha: Mu>m or for Ha: Mu<m ; I would not likely have
purposefully stated separately that you also use
a 1-sided for Mu=/m ; if I had truly meant to say that
you use a 1-sided for Ha:Mu=/m , I would not have stated
the three cases separately.

> Luís A. Afonso

Date Subject Author
12/8/10
Read More dumb question on hypothesis-testing: Symmetry of Ha.?. Sample size.?
bacle
12/8/10
Read Re: More dumb question on hypothesis-testing: Symmetry of Ha.?. Sample size.?
Luis A. Afonso
12/8/10
Read Re: More dumb question on hypothesis-testing: Symmetry of Ha.?. Sample size.?
minimus
12/8/10
Read Re: More dumb question on hypothesis-testing: Symmetry of Ha.?. Sample size.?
Luis A. Afonso
12/8/10
Read Re: More dumb question on hypothesis-testing: Symmetry of Ha.?. Sample size.?
bacle
12/8/10
Read Re: More dumb question on hypothesis-testing: Symmetry of Ha.?. Sample size.?
minimus
12/8/10
Read Re: More dumb question on hypothesis-testing: Symmetry of Ha.?. Sample size.?
Luis A. Afonso
12/31/10
Read Re: More dumb question on hypothesis-testing: Symmetry of Ha.?. Sample size.?
bacle
12/8/10
Read Re: More dumb question on hypothesis-testing: Symmetry of Ha.?. Sample size.?
Richard Ulrich
12/8/10
Read Re: More dumb question on hypothesis-testing: Symmetry of Ha.?. Sample size.?
Luis A. Afonso
12/9/10
Read Re: More dumb question on hypothesis-testing: Symmetry of Ha.?. Sample size.?
Richard Ulrich
12/8/10
Read Re: More dumb question on hypothesis-testing: Symmetry of Ha.?. Sample
size.?
Art Kendall
12/9/10