Topic: Another Keith Devlin Article on Multiplication
Replies: 6   Last Post: Dec 7, 2012 3:39 AM

Jonathan Groves

From: Kaplan University, Argosy University, Florida Institute of Technology
Registered: 8/18/05
Re: Another Keith Devlin Article on Multiplication

Anne,

Your comments do remind me that the multiplication debates that Keith
Devlin's articles have stirred up in many places on the Internet
(and I do not know all the places!) have not mentioned division
very much, including the debates I stirred up in February and in
March last year on Math-Teach. One response mentioning division
by Michael Paul Goldenberg can be found on his blog at

http://rationalmathed.blogspot.com/2010/02/keith-devlin-extended.html.

Many students' problems with understanding division can be traced to
the problems with MIRA (Multiplication Is Repeated Addition) since
division is often first introduced as repeated subtraction or, as
you put it, partitioning. I believe that, if we can get students
to understand multiplication and to get teachers to understand the
problems with MIRA, then it will be much easier to develop
strategies for helping students understand division and for helping
teachers to see the problems with traditional ways of teaching
division.

The MIRA idea leads many students to falsely believe that
multiplication always makes numbers bigger. Even in everyday language,
we see that misunderstanding: When rabbits multiply, we sure as
heck are not talking about them working a math problem on paper!
Students who believe that multiplication always makes numbers bigger
will likely be unsettled by the equation (2/3)*300 = 200.
And multiplications such as (3/4)*(2/3) = 1/2 are hard to understand
with the MIRA mindset because it does not make sense to add
3/4 to itself 2/3 times or to add 2/3 to itself 3/4 times.

Likewise, the division as repeated subtraction or as splitting into
groups leads many students to believe that 2 divided by 5 is
impossible since we cannot subtract 5 from 2 or because we cannot
split 2 into groups of 5 each. That is probably one major reason why
I see college students all the time trying to convert 2/5 to a decimal
number by dividing 5 by 2 instead of 2 by 5. There is a way to make
sense of splitting into groups even in cases like these, but that is
difficult for students to imagine--especially when they are
still entrenched with the whole number division into groups idea.
There might be a way to introduce this idea effectively, but that
requires careful timing and explanation so that it does not become
a roadblock in their efforts to make sense of divisions such as
2 divided by 5 or division of fractions or decimal numbers.

As for your final comments on division, I would certainly say that
such an approach simplifies division. William P. Thurston in his
article "Mathematical Education" says the following:

I remember as a child, in fifth grade, coming to the amazing
(to me) realization that the answer to 134 divided by 29 is 134/29
(and so forth). What a tremendous labor-saving device! To me,
?134 divided by 29? meant a certain tedious chore, while 134/29 was
an object with no implicit work. I went excitedly to my father to
explain my major discovery. He told me that of course this is
so, a/b and a divided by b are just synonyms. To him it was just a
small variation in notation.

The article can be found at http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0503081.

I have not confirmed this link since my Internet in the last few
months has not allowed me to access Arxiv articles; I cannot determine
what the problem is. I had to grab this quotation from a copy saved
to my computer. I cannot find an electronic copy anywhere else at
the moment so that I can confirms its link before sending it.

However, there is still a need to convert quotients to other
forms--namely, decimal number forms.

Jonathan Groves