Topic: Another Keith Devlin Article on Multiplication
Replies: 6   Last Post: Dec 7, 2012 3:39 AM

Jonathan Groves

From: Kaplan University, Argosy University, Florida Institute of Technology
Registered: 8/18/05
Re: Another Keith Devlin Article on Multiplication

Alexandre,

I will have to read your book sometime; I have glanced through some of it
to get a feel of the book first, and it looks quite interesting and
useful. These comments from mathematicians indicate at least some of the
problems with gaps or holes in traditional arithmetic curricula. That
book might prove useful for my own remedial arithmetic book I am
working on. I am fed up with college remedial arithmetic books which
are terrible because they reduce arithmetic to meaningless manipulations.
And much of the problems college students have with arithmetic is that
their past teachers and books did not explain much of the reasoning
and meaning behind arithmetic so that arithmetic and mathematics in
general has become for them a laundry list of meaningless rules to
perform on meaningless symbols.

Jonathan Groves