Topic: Common Core Implementation
Replies: 4   Last Post: Jan 15, 2011 1:20 PM

Tennantij@aol.com

Re: Common Core Implementation
att1.html (6.0 K)

I agree but I really don't know what kind of magicians are expected of we K-8 teachers. Already, I have a packed curriculum and really don't know where and when I can squeeze in another topic, such as percents. I have 4 7th grade classes and one accelerated 7th grade class and now % is really done in 8th grade where they compute all of the percentage type problems but that will be moved to 7th grade. When I mentioned it at a recent meeting with some people outside our district, they did not seem too concerned because they said every level teaches %ages and they will just be able to catch up--it is a really easy topic and no problem-we should not be worried about %ages--hope that is true.

I wish I knew the answer, and you can be rest assured our administrators will NOT want us to spend less time on the 2005 curriculum as that is what is going to be tested in 2011 and 2012 and that is what the state uses for school accountablity.

Yes, once again K-8 gets curriculum dumped onto us with no time to put the curriculum into place one grade level at a time--all changes magically made in one year. Once again there will be a cohert that will suffer--but at least they will really get the Pythagorean Theorem!! That will be in 7th and in 8th grade! I know there are many more examples, but I just picked out those two.

Maybe if we don't have final examinations at our building (I am doubtful they will drop them), we could use the time from the test to the last day of school to concentrate on those items that those groups of students will miss.

Have a great 3 day weekend!

Iva Jean Tennant