Topic: Research on "Twice as big"
Replies: 19   Last Post: Feb 27, 2011 1:15 PM

kirby urner

Re: Research on "Twice as big"

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 4:05 PM, ASAPANS <sendtojonathan@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Do you agree with the idea the brain processes size by observed surface area?
>
> This is why I ask.
>
> I ask adults to draw a square. Then I ask them to draw a square "Twice as big" as the first.

I think it's just a matter of not being specific and adults knowing that
the easiest interpretation will be the least time consuming. Is there
a motivation to focus on area versus line? Your paper has thickness,
so a stickler might go for double volume, which would be another
calculation all together. Indeed, the idea of "infinitely thin squares"
seems pretty bogus, as "the surface" of anything light reflecting is
gonna have molecular structure. Did you want to use moles (as
units, for when doing the doubling?).

Kirby