Topic: Research on "Twice as big"
Replies: 19   Last Post: Feb 27, 2011 1:15 PM

Anna Roys

Re: Research on "Twice as big"
att1.html (2.2 K)

Jonathon,

Great topic! It makes me wonder as well.

My first thought was maybe the results would be different if the test was
based on three things;(1) how the question was phrased, and (2) the
mathematical understanding each individual in the test, (the mathematical
understandings maybe relates to the way they were taught mathematics) or
(3) maybe their spatial intelligence. (In the sense that Howard Gardner
suggests in his book*, Frames of Mind.* )

I do not immediately see a direct link to how the brain, in general is
wired and works. It seems to me that participants would respond in a way
that reflects both the skills they were taught and which " way of knowing"
they employed.

If I had been a participant, I would have used my sense of symmetry and
flipped the 2 dimensional square over in my mind and then drawn the "twice
as big" square, using my eye to duplicate the first square, rather than do
any calculations. But that's just me and my brain. Does this suggest that
the participant might not even need to calculate if the first square was
drawn on graph paper?

I question if there is a way that can be identified as any one way that
brains work in general.

It is interesting that so many participants created a 2 dimensional square 4
times the size and also makes me question why?

I wonder how the results would differ if the experiment went like this?

1. Draw a 2 dimensional square, then make it twice as big; and

2. Draw a 3 dimensional square, then make it twice as big.

I would find it interesting to see the results.

I do not know what you mean by MAB. Please enlighten me.

Thanks, Anna