Topic: Is it possible that 3+4=8?
Replies: 21   Last Post: Jan 29, 2011 9:06 AM

Virgil

Re: Is it possible that 3+4=8?

In article
<a14152a8-3fbc-4766-9a28-dcf5853575c4@w2g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
Han de Bruijn <umumenu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 24, 11:02 am, LudovicoVan <ju...@diegidio.name> wrote:

> > > I don't think mathematics is a deductive science: mathematics is
> > > hardly a science at all. OTOH, in a world were 3+4=7, I'd also expect
> > > 1=/=0: i.e. no mathematical fact exists in isolation...

> > Thinking: It is logic that grounds mathematics, i.e. it is logic that
> > gives mathematics its initial premise and final validation.
> >
> > -LV

> How can that be, if Mathematical Logic is a branch of mathematics ?
> It is NOT logic that grounds mathematics. It is rather mathematics
> that grounds logic. (And physics grounds mathematics, but that is ..
> quite another story)

Except that, at least historically, mathematics preceded physics.

Agriculture and Commerce, but not physics, preceded mathematics
(agriculture gave rise to geometry and commerce to arithmetic).