Topic: Pseudoteaching
Replies: 31   Last Post: Apr 19, 2011 9:35 AM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: Pseudoteaching

This could be a good example of how an application of that new published result (with respect to self-testing) could be included, this application in line with ways I suggested in
The best way to retain information is by self-testing
http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?forumID=206&threadID=2232135&messageID=7370690#7370690
on how to possibly apply that result, this result being that self-testing seems to force a processing of the information that otherwise might not occur.

That is, this situation could perhaps benefit from including some "repeat after me" type of the thing regarding what the various variables mean with respect to the overall behavior of the function, where students try to produce the information ("by memory", without "looking it up") after having been given it.

This reminds me of an episode I experienced in a Calculus 3 class:

The professor on the first day of the course, while doing some review, asked for the definition of the limit of a function. Several people tried to give it, but as they tried, he clarified that he wanted the formal definition, that chunk of information that would actually be applied in some problem solving requiring the application of the definition. No one who tried could. (I could have, but I chose to stay silent, something I typically preferred in my math classes - whether it because the class was made up almost entirely of engineering and science majors, I don't know.) The professor used this as an example of how one can't apply something if one doesn't know it (and for whatever reason one is not able to look it up). And as to what is means "to know it", he said, "If you can't say [or write] it, then you don't know it."

- --- On Wed, 2/23/11, Joshua Fisher wrote:

> From: Joshua Fisher
> Subject: Re: Pseudoteaching
> To: math-teach@mathforum.org
> Date: Wednesday, February 23, 2011, 12:46 PM
> I don't have any issue with Meyer's
> methods. I have an issue with the rusty, broken chain of
> reasoning he and others use.
>
> Dan's post is a perfect example. First, af

introducing