Topic: Pseudoteaching
Replies: 31   Last Post: Apr 19, 2011 9:35 AM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Pseudoteaching

Hey, another physicist, that makes two of us, welcome to the forum. It wasn't a cheap shot Mark, I contend that Dan's foray into pictures was mostly about Dan and blogging and entertaining, and not about better results in his students, or any students for that matter. Essentially, Dan is milking the problem with math attainment, not solving it.

I think the confusion between cheap shots and blunt criticism has a lot to do with the nature of our two worlds. I am in a competitive world where my job hinges on producing authentic results and this in turn produces strong egos. While teachers are generally isolated from that competition and when someone criticizes them or one of their brethren, they tend to take it personally.

I will be very clear, I don't dislike Dan, I don't even know Dan, but as a fixer of the math problem, I think he is a fraud. As a blogger, he is pretty good though.

Speaking of physics, I would be very interested in seeing your final exams. I have a debate going on with Hake regarding the FCI in which I claim that teachers are taking it the wrong way and creating their courses (as you are) in order to do well on the FCI and that this in turn is deprecating math from high school physics creating a very weak (and truly not physics) experience for our aspiring engineers and physicists. You appear to have made gains on the FCI and by looking at the final exam I can tell where you pointed your ship.

Thanks
Bob Hansen