Topic: anybody got a complex 2-D median filter script they can share?
Replies: 7   Last Post: Nov 13, 2012 5:55 PM

Matt J

Re: anybody got a complex 2-D median filter script they can share?

"Cameron " <cameron.matthews@yahoo.com> wrote in message <ikr4os$515$1@fred.mathworks.com>...

> since phase wraps around, I don't think a conventional median filter will necessarily provide any meaningful data.

Well, you could apply the filter in regions where the signals are supposed to be continuous (i.e., for phase, not near pi and -pi) and then fill in the holes with some sort of extrapolation.

> SO - I guess an addendum to this request for help would be:
>
> if I median filter the amplitude,then separately median filter the phase or angle and then resolve the two datasets to a complex number, is the math in fact non-valid?

What math are you referring to? What equations need to be satisfied? The main concern I would have is if your complex data is going to be passed through some sort IFFT operation. In that case, errors in the median filtering could propagate spatially throughout the entire result.