The Math Forum

Replies: 27   Last Post: Mar 23, 2011 7:29 PM

Dennis

Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
att1.html (14.7 K)

Hello Bob,

I am very glad to hear that I am not the only one here who finds this
project "absurd."

The student transferred to a different school when the 2nd semester of the
school year began. As a result, she got a new Algebra 2 teacher who
apparently believes in projects such as this one.

Her parents hired me last August, in hopes that she might be able to earn
an "A" in the course. During the 1st semester, she accomplished this.

But with this different teacher at the different school, hanging onto an
"A" average has suddenly become more difficult. From what I have heard,
this teacher does not explain the material very well.

If my grade had to depend upon projects such as this one, I seriously doubt
that I would make an "A" myself.

Indeed, this project is listed as a required assignment on the teacher's
web page at her school.

Best Wishes,

Dennis

In a message dated 3/16/2011 1:43:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
bob@rsccore.com writes:

This is absurd. This is essentially the joke "I can't finish my math
homework because I ran out of glue."

Btw, why does the student need a tutor in this environment? I am not
questioning your abilities, but what student or parent would even care about
tutoring in such an absurd example of an algebra class?

Is this homework assignment posted in the web as part of the class web
site or something? I would like to know more. Thanks for sharing this.

Bob Hansen

On Mar 16, 2011, at 1:16 PM, _starcap50@aol.com_ (mailto:starcap50@aol.com)
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a retired public school math teacher who is now a private math

tutor.
> One of my Algebra 2 students has been assigned the following project:
>
> CONIC SECTION CLOWN MASK
>
> The description of this project begins as follows:
> __________
>
> "Each student will be responsible for creating a full size clown mask.
> You must work independently and your mask should be unique. The mask

will
> need to show emotion and must be drawn to scale. It will need to be
fitted to
> your individual face. Each mask will be created on graph paper first and
> then transferred to poster board or construction paper."
> __________
>
> The description goes on to describe how each of the four main conic
> sections -- the circle, the ellipse, the parabola, and the hyperbola --

in
> addition to straight line functions and absolute value functions must be
> represented for all of the facial features depicted on the mask.
>
> The equation for each conic section, straight line, and absolute value
> function must be included on the graph paper. The facial features

depicted
> by hyperbolas must include the equations for their asymptotes.
>
> The facial features on the mask must include the eyes, eyebrows, nose,
> mouth, and the lips, and the equation for each facial feature must be

included.

> Finally, the description of the project says the mask must be

"decorated."

> Okay now. Is it just me............or does anybody else here find this
> project to be a bit silly?
>
> The mask must "show emotion." Is this an Algebra 2 class or a Drama
> class?
>
> The mask must be "decorated." Is this an Algebra 2 class or an Art class?
>
> This reminds me of "Show and Tell."
>
> I wouldn't feel so negatively about such a project if it was an optional

or
> an extra credit project. But this is a mandatory assignment.
>
> In my opinion, mandatory projects such as these penalize those students

who
> are not artistically inclined. When I was in school, I was one of those
> students. I dropped out of an Art class in high school after my teacher
> told me my drawing ability was on the "1st grade level."
>
> That was not an appropriate thing to say, but it was true. All

throughout
> my K-12 school years, I was always the "worst in the class" when it came
> to "hands on" tasks requiring any kind of "art work."
>
> Maybe I am projecting my own personal traumas onto what may be a
> legitimate and worthwhile project.
>
> But I still don't like it.
>
> I am usually in the minority when it comes to issues such as this one.
> So please feel free to disagree. All comments will be welcome.
>
> Best Wishes,
>
> Dennis

Date Subject Author
3/16/11
Read [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Dennis
3/16/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Robert Hansen
ArPeEs@aol.com
3/16/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
John Clement
3/16/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Zeev Wurman
3/16/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Dennis
3/16/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Robert Hansen
3/16/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
John Clement
3/16/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
kathleen Offenholley
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Julie in San Diego
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Teri
3/17/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
kathleen Offenholley
3/17/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Ralph A. Raimi
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
John Clement
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Julie in San Diego
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Julie in San Diego
3/17/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Robert Hansen
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Julie in San Diego
3/17/11
Read [math-learn] Re: What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Jonathan Groves
3/17/11
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Robert Lewis
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] Re: What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Julie in San Diego
3/17/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Dennis
3/17/11
Read [math-learn] Rounding [Was: What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?]
John Clement
3/17/11
Read [math-learn] Re: Rounding [Was: What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?]
Jonathan Groves
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] Re: Rounding [Was: What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?]
John Clement
3/23/11