The Math Forum

Replies: 27   Last Post: Mar 23, 2011 7:29 PM

Zeev Wurman

Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
att1.html (13.2 K)

This seems to gloss over two key points. First, that the described CS
project involved mostly a program design & implementation, the main
focus of a CS class. Design and implementation of semi-artistic
artifacts, even if it includes mathematical elements, doesn't seem like
a main goal of an algebra class. Further, there is a matter of time --
if the expectation in the algebra class was to spend an hour on it, it
is not a big deal. But if the expectation was much larger, it does seem
like a huge waste of time. This is not true for the assignment described
by John.

Ze'ev

On 3/16/2011 11:51 AM, John Clement wrote:

> This is the crux of the matter. How is it graded? I have usually gave a
> computer science assignment where the students had to do an animation. It
> had requirements such as 4 different line styles, 5 different colors, 30
> different objects... Then extra points were given as a bonus for
> animation.
> Each requirement was specified with a rubric that awarded a certain number
> of points for each item, and some partial credit would be given. This was
> the last project of the semester, and it was mainly done in class. The
> basic grade was for a project that worked.
>
> I didn't tell them how to do this. I handed them a stack of documentation
> with a small sample project or two. Needless to say they were not allowed
> to copy the sample and incorporate it directly into their project. And of
> course they were programming it into the computer in a language such
> as C++
> or Java.
>
> I would think this type of thing would be better used as a programming
> exercise where the students have the computer draw the stuff on the screen
> using equations. I would can the creativity or just have a small number of
> bonus points awarded for it.
>
> My animation project was enjoyable, educational, and it helped me get good
> student evaluations, so it was profitable. Since I practically never
> lectured, students did essentially math projects on the computer using a
> language. They worked through various worksheets which presented examples
> and then asked them to figure out what was going on. Then there were final
> projects which required them to use some of the constructs they learned.
> There were some simple binay manipulatives and a lot of Socratic dialog.
> The only evidence that I had about how well it worked were some
> students who
> spontaneously reported to me. They said that they took the SAT for the
> second time and in the math section used the style of thinking that they
> were using in comp sci. The result was a 100 point gain. Another student
> came into class and remarked that he had to think again. So when I asked
> him what he meant, he said he had to think during my first period physics
> class, and then he went to sleep the rest of the day until my last period
> comp sci. class. You can't get much better feedback than that! The physics
> classes all showed much higher gain than normally seen in conventional
> lecture classes.
>
> John M. Clement
> Houston, TX
>

> > Dennis, did your student explain how this would be graded? Is it

> possible
> > that a student would get a good grade if he/she did the algebra
> correctly
> > (with perhaps extra points for a creative answer)?

Date Subject Author
3/16/11
Read [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Dennis
3/16/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Robert Hansen
ArPeEs@aol.com
3/16/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
John Clement
3/16/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Zeev Wurman
3/16/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Dennis
3/16/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Robert Hansen
3/16/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
John Clement
3/16/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
kathleen Offenholley
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Julie in San Diego
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Teri
3/17/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
kathleen Offenholley
3/17/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Ralph A. Raimi
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
John Clement
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Julie in San Diego
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Julie in San Diego
3/17/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Robert Hansen
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Julie in San Diego
3/17/11
Read [math-learn] Re: What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Jonathan Groves
3/17/11
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Robert Lewis
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] Re: What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Julie in San Diego
3/17/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Dennis
3/17/11
Read [math-learn] Rounding [Was: What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?]
John Clement
3/17/11
Read [math-learn] Re: Rounding [Was: What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?]
Jonathan Groves
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] Re: Rounding [Was: What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?]
John Clement
3/23/11