The Math Forum

Replies: 27   Last Post: Mar 23, 2011 7:29 PM

Teri

RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
att1.html (13.8 K)

I applaud the teacher for enforcing the importance of the details. A slight
rounding error in an angle or a calculation can have devastating results. I
wouldn't want a financial analyst or an engineer who was lax on the details.
"The Devil is in the Details".

Teri

From: math-learn@yahoogroups.com [mailto:math-learn@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of Julie Living Math
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:27 AM
To: math-learn@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?

Busywork projects are common enough unfortunately in my daughter's class.
The last one was a Pi Day project. It could have been a decent project but
the grading was far more geared toward dotting i's and crossing t's, so
there was no learning.

The grading has so much to do with how students approach a project. She had
a scaling project a couple months ago. She was docked points because she did
her measurements including fractions, so when she converted the scale, she
had long decimal numbers that she rounded off one place too short; never
mind the fact that I had her do the project in such a way that she actually
learned something, and it should have been obvious to the teacher that real,
substantive work was put into it above and beyond what was required. Had she
used sloppy, rounded measurements, the conversions would have been simple
and she wouldn't have been docked, so her reality is that being thorough
cost her a grade, and this isn't the first time. This is the same teacher
that just marked a diligently completed, carefully labeled homework
assignment down a full 25% for the sole reason she stapled two sections
separately and turned them in, rather than staple the two sections together.
She's paranoid now about how she labels, formats and packages her homework
because the cost of a tiny misstep is so steep. When she had a stock market
project, she had a great deal of anxiety about whether she could generate
her graphs in Excel vs. hand draw them, because it wasn't stated on the
rubric. I knew she learned more by generating them in Excel, shoot, she's
been graphing for years, but would the teacher agree, or dock her 25% for
being creative? So what does she do? She does them both ways hoping that she
wouldn't be docked for doing too much work.

Now I constantly fight her attitude of looking for what she should do on
paper to please the teacher for the grade, vs. being interested in actually
learning something. My son has figuratively had his "knuckles rapped" for
calculating the areas of polygons using a couple basic equations and logic
vs. memorizing dozens of separate equations for each and every polygon. I
mean really, teaching that A=bh is the formula for rectangles, and A=s^2 is
the formula for squares? This is what my daughter is being taught now, and
she is terrified of getting a grade knocked down if she recognizes that the
A=bh formula works for a square as well, or if she recognizes that all you
do for a trapezoid is average the bases and you're back to base times
height, oh no, she has to know the official formula in the proper format.
This also occurred in her chapters on percents, discounts and interest -
they were treated like two totally different subjects, when they use exactly
the same kind of thinking and process. She begins to lose the ability to
recognize basic underlying concepts in a sea of terms and formulas to
memorize. When my son used his logic vs. rote memory, the fact he didn't
write out all the formulas cost him a grade. By the end of last school year
he was trained to memorize and not think about why things work, and with it,
he lost all interest in math. What a shame.

I am quite happy with the school's English, history and science classes, my
daughter is learning heaps. I just have to work very heavily with her every
week to try and reverse the mindset from her time in math classes to try to
protect her from my son's experience.

Julie Brennan

Date Subject Author
3/16/11
Read [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Dennis
3/16/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Robert Hansen
ArPeEs@aol.com
3/16/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
John Clement
3/16/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Zeev Wurman
3/16/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Dennis
3/16/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Robert Hansen
3/16/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
John Clement
3/16/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
kathleen Offenholley
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Julie in San Diego
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Teri
3/17/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
kathleen Offenholley
3/17/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Ralph A. Raimi
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
John Clement
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Julie in San Diego
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Julie in San Diego
3/17/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Robert Hansen
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Julie in San Diego
3/17/11
Read [math-learn] Re: What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Jonathan Groves
3/17/11
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Robert Lewis
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] Re: What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Julie in San Diego
3/17/11
Read Re: [math-learn] What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?
Dennis
3/17/11
Read [math-learn] Rounding [Was: What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?]
John Clement
3/17/11
Read [math-learn] Re: Rounding [Was: What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?]
Jonathan Groves
3/17/11
Read RE: [math-learn] Re: Rounding [Was: What Is Your Opinion Of This Algebra 2 Project?]
John Clement
3/23/11