Replies: 154   Last Post: Apr 19, 2011 4:25 AM

Bob Casanova

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 16:08:59 -0700 (PDT), the following
appeared in sci.skeptic, posted by Graham Cooper
<grahamcooper7@gmail.com>:

>On Apr 15, 5:19 am, BruceS <bruce...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 14, 12:18 pm, Bob Casanova <nos...@buzz.off> wrote:
>>

>> > On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 15:31:03 -0700 (PDT), the following
>> > appeared in sci.skeptic, posted by Graham Cooper

>> > Define "major".

>> > No type (flood [tsumani or otherwise], earthquake, fire,
>> > massive bolide impact, etc) given. "Dark Day Monday" means
>> > nothing.

>> > No time frame given.

>> > The tsumani happened on Sunday,not Monday, IIRC. But no week
>> > given. No location given. No time given. No mention of
>> > nature of catastrophe.

>> > Still no prediction..

>> > If all those "predictions" were of equal value your
>> > "predictions" are worthless, and so vague as to be
>> > meaningless. Like this one:

>> > ...and this one:

>> > Details? Did you specifically predict an earthquake? In
>> > Christchurch? On a stated date? At a stated time? If the
>> > answer to these is "no" this doesn't qualify as a prediction
>> > either.

>> > Ditto.

>> > That's not a prediction; it's an observation. How about this
>> > one:

>> > "Graham Cooper disagrees that his predictions are
>> > worthless."

>> > Does that make me an oracle?

>> > Postdictions, and interpretations of vague statements to
>> > suit them, aren't "hits".

>> The day before the big quake & tsunami, I ate Quaker oatmeal for
>> breakfast and gave a big wave to a friend I saw across the street.  I
>> suppose now you're going to say *I* didn't make a valid prediction
>> either.

>I posted PREDICTION OF CATASTROPHE to SCI.SKEPTIC and
>ALT.PROPHECIES.NOSTRADAMUS

You predicted nothing. "Dark day Monday" isn't a prediction.

>and gave the day of the week.

Actually, since it occurred on a Sunday you didn't even get
that right. But without stating the week (since the tsunami
wasn't that week) it would have been worthless even *if* you
got the day correct.

>This DENIAL that a prediction took place at all is your ADMISSION that
>it was a HIT!

Your "logic" is...interesting.

>The discussion in the thread is obvious that people knew it was a time
>stamped prediction.

It was a timestamped statement which made no prediction.

>Skeptics are all cheats who have never scored a single hit to anything
>subjective in the last 100 years.

Two points:

1) Skeptics don't make predictions; we leave that to the
self-proclaimed "psychics" and other loons.
2) Predictions of future events aren't subjective; they are
about real objective events. If not they're meaningless and
useless. "Dark day Monday" is a perfect example of this.
--

Bob C.

"Evidence confirming an observation is
- McNameless