Topic: Pseudoteaching
Replies: 31   Last Post: Apr 19, 2011 9:35 AM

Jonathan Groves

From: Kaplan University, Argosy University, Florida Institute of Technology
Registered: 8/18/05
Re: Pseudoteaching

On 4/18/2011 at 2:13 pm, Richard Strausz wrote:

> (Still another post from Dan Meyer. The original post
> and the comments were interesting to read.)
>
> When teaching areas of circles and the relationship
> between length and area, I am looking forward to this
> as a kick-off:
> http://blog.mrmeyer.com/?p=9258
>
> Richard

Richard,

This post reminds me of Jonathan Crabtree's post on here a few
months ago about how students have different intuitions on what
a square twice as big means.

Dan Meyer's post is a good example of a common trick that many
use to exaggerate data. Like many people, I generally perceive
the ratio of areas immediately as a way to judge their relative
sizes rather than the ratios of dimensions. I take it that using
ratios of areas rather than just dimensions is quite common;
otherwise, why would this trick for trying to exaggerate relative
sizes of numbers be as common as it is?

Helping students learn about such tricks is a good lesson for
them.

Jonathan Groves