Topic: Undo/Redo
Replies: 12   Last Post: Feb 13, 2014 1:01 AM

Bill Rowe

Re: Undo/Redo

On 4/30/11 at 5:53 AM, baraksh@gmail.com (Barak Shoshany) wrote:

>This seems to be a recurring subject in this group.

>Mathematica is now at version 8 and there's still no multiple undo
>and redo functionality. I don't understand how such an amazing piece
>of software can lack such a trivial feature. Why isn't Woflram doing
>anything about it? Heck, I'll even write the code for undo/redo
>myself for them for free if they let me. Is there someone at Wolfram
>I can complain on the matter? Perhaps an internet petition is in
>order? What do you think?

Simply put, implementation of undo/redo for something like
Mathematica is far more complex than you suggest.

Undo/redo in a text editor or word processor is manipulating
what I will call static text, i.e., text that is to be
read/printed etc that does not change the state of your machine,
it not executed. This isn't the case for Mathematica.

You really need to think about what you mean by say undo in the
context of Mathematica. What does it mean to undo a computation?
Keep in mind, many mathematical operations have no simple inverse.

Reverting the state of a text document to a previous state is
quite simple compared to doing the same for a Mathematica session.