Topic: Undo/Redo
Replies: 12   Last Post: Feb 13, 2014 1:01 AM

Sebastian

Re: Undo/Redo

Am Sonntag, 1. Mai 2011 12:22:58 UTC+2 schrieb Bill Rowe:

> You really need to think about what you mean by say undo in the
> context of Mathematica. What does it mean to undo a computation?
> Keep in mind, many mathematical operations have no simple inverse.
>
> Reverting the state of a text document to a previous state is
> quite simple compared to doing the same for a Mathematica session.

As far as I am concerned, it is not about reverting the state of the computational state of the session. I am not interested in that. What I am interested in is to undo changes I made to _input_ cells! And this is static text. Without a working undo feature work is lost easily if you don't hit save every other keystroke. Also deleting a bunch of cells happens pretty quickly. I too think that every modern software should provide this feature. And saying that it is a complex task to integrate it into Mathematica sounds like a pretty lame excuse to me.

Also, in my opinion the interface could use some other improvements as well. A way to customize shortcuts for example. I know it is possible by hacking the interface files, but only to some limited extend. Another feature which needs improvement is completion. Once I hit Ctrl-K the context menu popsup, but then what? I can't hit tab (or some other easy to reach key) to get to the match I want, there is no partial completion... the only thing I can do is move my hand to the cursor keys to select the command I want. But that is all far to slow, I can easily type the whole command during that time. Same goes for inserting a template, which would be a very handy feature if it worked correctly.

Sorry if this sounded a little emotional but these are things which annoy me every day. I think they'd be easy to fix and they would give a great boost in productivity!

Sebastian