Topic: On Regents Exam
Replies: 11   Last Post: May 5, 2011 7:09 PM

Daniel Knaisch

RE: On Regents Exam

>From my experience, students are lazy and when they see the calculator spit out a decimal that is 8 or 9 places long, you start hearing the moaning and complaining that they have to use them all (even from the best students). This is a battle that you just won't win, so I have always told them to round to 4 decimal places no matter what. Going back to the "old days" when we used trig tables (some of you young bucks won't remember), but all of the decimals were rounded to 4 places. I have never come across a problem where rounding was skewed becasue of using only 4-decimals

Daniel Knaisch
Math Teacher
Elmira Free Academy
933 Hoffman St.
Elmira, NY 14905
(607)735-3100 ext 4233
From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org [owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org] On Behalf Of mathpig [mirie@northvillecsd.k12.ny.us]
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 6:45 PM
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: On Regents Exam

There is a question using both the law of Sines and Cosines, and first you solve for a side and use it to find an angle. Say the side is an irrational number (ex. 10.254873209). Can a student round it to say the nearest hundredth and use it to solve an angle OR should a student use the 10.254873209 to solve the angle?

I have always taught students to use the number and not to round it until the end (the answer) but just wondered if that is allowed.
*