Topic: On Regents Exam
Replies: 11   Last Post: May 5, 2011 7:09 PM

Daniel Knaisch

RE: On Regents Exam
att1.html (6.1 K)

Never had the pleasure of teaching Course 3, Started teaching during the reign of Math B. Although I know the importance of using all decimals displayed, when communicating that to students you can actually see my voice going through one ear and out the other (its an amazing sight). As I am lecturing on the importance, the reality still is these kids are thinking "if he thinks I am writing down all these numbers, this guy is nuts." Storing the number for a variable cures this problem, but again getting some of these kids to know the calculator keys is a tough job in itself. There is probably no way to get all kids to do what you ask them to anyway, and if you are getting every student to use the full display, then you should be deemed as teacher of the year. Regardless, Until I see a quesion where 4-decimals is not enough (in the Alg2/Trig), I have thrown in the towel on trying to get these kids to use the full display. I do mention it, and those of them that actually pick up on the importance can/will do it.

would love to see the question where 4-decimals was not enough.

Daniel Knaisch
Math Teacher
Elmira Free Academy
933 Hoffman St.