Topic: On Regents Exam
Replies: 11   Last Post: May 5, 2011 7:09 PM

Tennantij@aol.com

Re: On Regents Exam
att1.html (8.8 K)

I am surprised that the high schoolers are so resistant to it as we teach the same thing in the middle level. In fact, they lose 1 out of 2 or 1 out of 3 points on our part two questions if they round off too soon or do not use the entire print out. In fact, if they do any calculations with pi, they must use the entire print out and round at the end.
This should not be a new concept to them but I do agree, they whine but they whine over everything, so what's one more reason to whine. :) But, actually most of my studentsdo it without much of a problem and I do have them do computions where it does change the answer.
Iva Jean Tennant

-----Original Message-----
From: elizwaite@aol.com
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Sent: Wed, May 4, 2011 9:09 pm
Subject: Re: On Regents Exam

I remember a Course II question from years ago...I think it involved the area of a trapezoid. If the students rounded during the intermediate steps, their answer was off by NINE units! I always used to use this one as an example of the 'dangers' of rounding before the end..it made an impression.
It seems to me that it is extremely important that students are taught not to round before the end of a problem (whether they complain about it or not).
In general, by the way, they think we're nuts! Let me see...it's 9:00 at night, and I'm writing an email extolling the virtues of not rounding before the end...they may have something there:)
Liz Waite