The Math Forum

Topic: Louis Paul Benezet and the 'Journal of Humanistic Mathematics'
Replies: 1   Last Post: May 7, 2011 2:25 AM

kirby urner

Re: Louis Paul Benezet and the 'Journal of Humanistic Mathematics'

I was an attender at the webinar, working from TaborSpace (a study area).

The magazine has lots of interesting content and I went browsing while
listening to the discussants (I had no microphone, though added my
two cents by chat).

I don't recall Benezet being all that prominent in the discussion, but
I may have missed that part. It's all recorded at Maria's site -- or that's
her usual practice.

What I gathered from the webinar is that this journal is aware of what
I've often repeated, that all math is ethno-math (meaning you cannot
separate mathematics from surrounding ethnography -- why try?
Doesn't philosophy matter to you?).

Here's my journal entry mentioning the meeting:
http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2011/05/philosophy-talk.html

To have everything hinge on any one figure, be that Piaget, Benezet,
Escalante or anyone, seems a rather dim-witted approach to
any narrative. Lets get beyond messianic tellings, if we want
to spare any future messiahs from their fate as scapegoats
and/or villains.

Kirby