The Math Forum

Topic: Field Test Question
Replies: 36   Last Post: May 29, 2011 9:53 AM

Westendorf, Neal

RE: Possible non-release of regents exams

This is unacceptable. The memo http://www.regents.nysed.gov/meetings/2011Meetings/May2011/511p12ccra1.pdf <http://www.regents.nysed.gov/meetings/2011Meetings/May2011/511p12ccra1.pdf> states

The Department will explore longer term actions steps to address future funding shortfalls due to the uncertainty of the fiscal condition of the state and this program.

o Revise the current practice of the public release of exams after administration. Exams will be kept secure to allow items to be reused, thus producing savings on development costs.

That has been the case for several years for the RCT. The problem is that when I am done grading an exam (which I am not allowed to see), I can only report a score. I cannot do an item analysis nor provide the teacher and the student with feedback on areas of strength and weakness. As Tom points out, we may recall certain kinds of questions that need to be included in our courses. Then again, we may not and the students certainly won't when they are prepping for their next shot at the exam - a year later. We and they need to see copies of the exam.

Ok, the financial state of the state is a mess and the department needs to control costs (by shifting them to the local districts when they issue keys and instructions only electronically). This proposal would only make it tougher for our weakest students to prep for graduation requirements. It would make our tough job all the more difficult as well.

The only way around this might be a combination of a pool of similar questions available publicly AND a very specific item analysis of the exam errors that would facilitate remediation and preparation. How do you work with this item analysis on a part 2,3 or 4 question?

Neal

Taconic Hills