The Math Forum

Topic: Field Test Question
Replies: 36   Last Post: May 29, 2011 9:53 AM

Virginia Kuryla

Re: Regents Examinations and the Public Domain: A
Socio-Historical Perspective

att1.html (7.9 K)

I love this thread! Thanks to Steve (and those who've added their thoughts) for putting the history together. I'm wondering how we change the salutation from "Dear Math Teachers of New York," to "Dear Teachers, Parents and Students of New York,". How do we get the public to understand the ramifications of this change? How do we use the media to drive politics?

I was very thankful when the elections were over in November and the constant barrage of political rhetoric ceased. Then to my dismay it started up again in February and March when the governor was trying to gain support for his cuts to education. NYSUT responded. Now I can't turn on the TV without seeing an political ad for a special election that is being held sometime soon. The politicians use the media to their advantage.

I think that this message is one that we need to get out. Can we write editorials and send them to the newspapers? Can we send this information to local news stations and ask them to do a story on it or an ongoing series? Do we start posting to our friends on facebook and encourage them to repost? How do we move this discussion out into the public?

The politicians are not listening to us. They've painted teachers as the enemy who are only interested in taking advantage of the public for our salaries and benefits. I'm tired of feeling like there's nothing that I can do.

Thanks for listening,

Ginny Kuryla

>>> <msedfun@aol.com> 5/19/2011 7:51 AM >>>

What a terrific history! Let me interject one thought. You did not speak of yet another diploma option that was available for a part of the twentieth century. I think by local diploma you were referring to the general diploma. You did not discuss the commercial diploma which was such a wonderful course of studies because it allowed students who were otherwise unable to master the higher requirements of a regents diploma and leave high school with a marketable skill - allowing them to find employment more quickly. For a number of years I have thought about how many of my students would benefit from that option. I believe that if there were a commercial diploma track the drop-out rate would decrease for obvious reasons.

Tzippy :)