Topic: hypothetical school
Replies: 10   Last Post: May 30, 2011 12:10 PM

Samis, Karen

RE: hypothetical school
att1.html (5.5 K)

WOW! We have 1, 4, 7, and 8 (that I know for sure) in our school. I find it very difficult to give a child a 50 when they don't even come to school. But hey lets give the child a chance to pass just in case they decide to do what they are supposed to do. We also have had students pass the regents and fail the class but they move on. What concerns me is the fact that students can pass with the minimum required in Algebra and move on. We are basically telling our students that if you know 40% of the material, your golden. THEY don't see how it will hurt them down the road...WE do. Totally blows me away..

From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org [mailto:owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org] On Behalf Of JFish@csufsd.org
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:25 AM
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: hypothetical school

I know you are busy at this time of year. But I have something for you to ponder.........

This is about a hypothetical school in a first-ring suburb with cohort sizes around 110.

The BOE/Administration has outlined the following edicts regarding grades:

1. No marking period grades below a 50 can ever be given.
2. Every student, regardless of IEP conditions MUST take all Regents exams.
3. Local exams are forbidden if a Regents exam is available.
4. The accelerated 8th grade Algebra class is broken up once in high school.
5. There are no "lower level" Math courses...every student takes the same level course and are mixed in with all other ability levels.
6. There is no 2-year Algebra I program allowed. (Nor a 1.5-yr. program either)
7. All classes are 90-minute blocks
8. Any student that passes the Regents exam, passes the course, regardless of their actual average.

I am VERY interested in your thoughts on any or all of the above conditions. Agree or disagree, I could use the information.

Thanks!

Jim