Topic: hypothetical school
Replies: 10   Last Post: May 30, 2011 12:10 PM

loretta boyce

Re: hypothetical school
att1.html (10.4 K)

nyshsmath@mathforum.org writes:
>I know you are busy at this time of year.  But I have something for you
>to ponder.........
>
>This is about a hypothetical school in a first-ring suburb with cohort
>sizes around 110.

our cohorts are approx 90... graduating classes mid 70's

>The BOE/Administration has outlined the following edicts regarding
>grades:
>
>1.   No marking period grades below a 50 can ever be given.

this has changed a few times in the last few years but currently nothing
below a 50 for the first two marking periods...

>2.  Every student, regardless of IEP conditions MUST take all Regents
>exams.

we follow whatever state regs are... I believe they sit for the minimum
graduation requirement exams and then can use their safety net (if they
have one)

>3.  Local exams are forbidden if a Regents exam is available.

teacher discretion here, but if it is more than a one year course then we
HAVE to give a final exam as well as the regents

>4.  The accelerated 8th grade Algebra class is broken up once in high
>school.

our 8th graders are mixed in once they reach algebra...

>5.  There are no "lower level" Math courses...every student takes the
>same level course and are mixed in with all other ability levels.

we have a two year program to the algebra exam but the first year is
extremely difficult on the teacher...

>6.  There is no 2-year Algebra I program allowed. (Nor a 1.5-yr. program
>either)

see number 5

>7.  All classes are 90-minute blocks

40 minute class periods

>8.  Any student that passes the Regents exam, passes the course,
>regardless of their actual average.

no 65 overall average then they have to repeat the course