Topic: What is Allowed for Regents Exams?
Replies: 64   Last Post: Jun 13, 2011 5:04 PM

ElizWaite@aol.com

Re: What is Allowed for Regents Exams? and iPads
att1.html (8.7 K)

Regarding ipads...one of the teachers in my school loaded a free clinometer app and used it outside to measure the height of the building...apparently also available for cell phones, I think.
Liz Waite

-----Original Message-----
From: TKENYON <TKENYON@crcs.wnyric.org>
To: nyshsmath <nyshsmath@mathforum.org>
Sent: Tue, May 31, 2011 4:32 pm
Subject: RE: What is Allowed for Regents Exams? and iPads

Worth noting to those without the press to test calculators (TI 83+): some students are more tech savvy than teachers. There are programs out there that will simulate that the memory has been cleared. i.e. You cannot just give students instructions to clear their memory, then walk up and down the rows of students and check that their screen says it has been cleared. They can run a program to make the screen say whatever they want it to say, including the same thing you see after the memory has allegedly been erased. You must manually clear the memories yourself (or, of course with the use of other trained proctors.) Also, you need to know how to clear ALL memory; I've run into students who knew how to archive things into their memory so that a few clicks later during the test & it was back.

I've found it easiest to have all the calculators in my possession a day before the exam- then I clear all the memories as well as replace any batteries of calculators that say that the batteries are low. If I had to clear 150 calculators at the beginning of an exam, it'd take me at least 15-20 minutes to do it manually. (I'm assuming the student:proctor ratio is better than 150:1 in even the worst situations though.)

Also, speaking of graphing calculators, other than covering one standard indicator - solution to a quadratic/linear system of equations graphically - how have many of you used graphing calculators to enhance instruction in Geometry? I used so many other resources with a Promethean board that the graphing calculators took a back seat, except for the 15 minutes or so spent reviewing those systems of equations from last year.

***
Also, next year, I'm going to be piloting a program where my students will be working with iPads in the classroom; moodling; that sort of stuff. Anyone have any experience in using iPads with Geometry? And any feedback on how well it worked/resources you might have found, etc? I'd hate to reinvent the wheel (particularly since I'll be teaching 4 different wheels and have to develop a lot of things for all four of them.) And, if people had bad experiences using iPads as a teaching tool, I'd love to know what to beware of.
***

-Tom Kenyon
CRCS Mathematics/Physics
tkenyon@crcs.wnyric.org