Topic: algebra regents 2011
Replies: 27   Last Post: Jun 20, 2011 3:05 PM

Evan Romer

Re: algebra regents 2011

This has been bothering me since I read it yesterday (the last
sentence). When the state says that "each exam is to be scored by a
committee of at least three teachers," I don't think they meant,""each
exam is to be scored by a committee of at least three teachers, and
then the score can be changed by an individual teacher afterward." In
fact, see the section on "The Finality of Examination Scores" which
begins, "When the teacher scoring committee completes the scoring
process, test scores must be considered final and must be entered onto
students' permanent records."

For a teacher to change a score is unprofessional and unethical.
Teachers who do so can be, and have been, brought up on 3020a changes
and dismissed. As teachers grading our own exams, we have a
responsibility to maintain professional standards.

Remember too, that in cases like this where the scoring committee
cannot agree, you can always call Albany for a ruling. My school calls
maybe 1 to 5 times each June. We call especially if we're not sure how
to score a response and we see that response on a lot of papers.

In the specific example Luisa gives, I'm not sure how Albany would
rule. I could see them going either way.

Evan Romer
Susquehanna Valley HS

*