Topic: Alg2Trig exam
Replies: 29   Last Post: Jun 23, 2011 10:30 AM

Ryley David

RE: Alg2Trig exam
image002.png (0.3 K)
image001.png (0.4 K)
image003.png (0.3 K)

The question is obviously flawed. A function only has an inverse if the inverse is a function. If they did not restrict the domain, then there technically is no inverse. I feel very strongly that they should accept all of the following answers: sqrt(x+6), -sqrt(x+6), plus or minus sqrt(x+6), and no inverse.

I will be calling today.

Dave Ryley
Beacon HS
________________________________
From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org [owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org] On Behalf Of k_wolpert [k_wolpert@saratogaschools.org]
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 6:48 PM
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: RE: Alg2Trig exam

I called the state on #32 this afternoon and they said that I was the only one to complain. We strongly believe it is a flawed question (and answer). Please call-in tomorrow if you feel the same way my department and I feel. The number is 518-474-5900. I cannot imagine taking any credit off for a student who successfully argues that there is no inverse function of f(x)= x^2-6.

Kevin

Kevin Wolpert
Mathematics Department Head
Saratoga Springs High School
(518) 587-6690 ext. 3318
#19) I know #3 is the least wrong but I think y = cos^-1 (x) implies a function and graph #3 does not have a restricted range.

#30) I?d like to give full credit to an equation with either y = x^2 ? 6x ? 27 or 0 = x^2 ? 6x ? 27.

>From NYS Glossary for A2T:

?root of an equation (A) (A2T) A solution to an equation of the form f(x) = 0.

Example: A root of the equation y = 6x ? 18 is 3 because when 3 is substituted in for x, the value of y = 0.

Example: The roots of [cid:image001.png@01CC303E.E04A8EF0] are [cid:image002.png@01CC303E.E04A8EF0] and[cid:image003.png@01CC303E.E04A8EF0]. The equation is true if we substitute either [cid:image002.png@01CC303E.E04A8EF0] or [cid:image003.png@01CC303E.E04A8EF0] into the equation.?
#32) Doesn?t using f^-1(x) imply that answer should be a function? I think stating just one branch of the inverse of the parabola should be accepted. Really, there should be a stated domain restriction so it is clear which branch to choose.

Meg Clemens
Canton NY