Topic: Rubric for A2&T #38
Replies: 7   Last Post: Jun 22, 2011 8:09 PM

Eleanor Pupko

RE: Rubric for A2&T #38
att1.html (4.4 K)

So now we are testing the word 'exact' twice in one exam. If they did not know what the word meant the first time they saw it, what are the chances that they knew it the second time? Often in rounding statements the letters are italicized. In this question the emphasis was on 'at least three times' and I bet many students did not even read the word 'exact'.

Do they test math skills on the English exam? I always tell my students that A2/Trig is a READING exam!

Eleanor Pupko

Subject: Re: Rubric for A2&T #38
From: TKENYON@crcs.wnyric.org
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 08:23:25 -0400

I think the loss of one point implies that the student did not realize that it was a repeating decimal. If a student wrote the fraction as a repeating decimal, then I see no reason to not award full credit. But, if they wrote it as a terminating decimal, then they deserve to lose the point. It says "exact value," not "rounded to the nearest ten billionth (or whichever place, depending on how many digits are on their display.)

-Tom Kenyon
CRCS Mathematics/Physics
tkenyon@crcs.wnyric.org