Topic: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Replies: 55   Last Post: Jul 1, 2011 6:01 PM

Glenn Mary

Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents

Thank you for verbalizing what I have been saying to myself all day today.
I am so bummed out - worse results I have ever had. I feel I have let down
my students. I reviewed so much trig and algebra 2 skills. I held many
after-school and weekend review sessions. Many of my borderline students
were feeling very confident but left the exam feeling so defeated. I no
longer feel the regents is a valid test. I, too, will contact state ed.

Mary

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lin Chen" <calculus1918@gmail.com>
To: <nyshsmath@mathforum.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:45 PM
Subject: Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents

> Did I miss a memo about a new curriculum named
>
> "Algebra 1.5 with limited Trig" between Algebra I and Algebra II?
>
> Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, and I haven't complained about most of the
> Regents exams (last time was the Math B exam that was rescaled back in
> 2004-2005).
>
> Here we are reviewing with the kids the last few weeks about Force
> Problems, Trig Equations, Circles Formulas, Regressions, etc... Where were
> they on the test? Instead, here comes problems about finding the average
> with frequency tables and foiling with fractions on part II.
>
> I don't feel bad for the slackers, they would have struggled either way.
> What about the limited number of kids that comes to review all the time
> who were confident for this exams BASED on the 4 STATE PUBLISHED Exams in
> the past few years??? Are we trying to penalize kids for that or reward
> the few that are good problem solvers (1 foreign exchange student from
> South Korea scored a 100 on this test).
>
> Once again, I am sorry for the rant, guess I personally taught the wrong
> curriculum this year...

> *
*

Date Subject Author
6/20/11
Read Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Jayson Kiang
6/20/11
Read Re: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
rhoffman@wacs2.wnyric.org
6/21/11
Read Re: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Jessica
6/21/11
Read Re: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Jonathan Halabi
6/21/11
Read RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Mitchell, Doreen
6/21/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Lin Chen
6/21/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Steve Grey
precopio@nycap.rr.com
6/21/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Kathy
6/22/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Glenn Mary
6/23/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
adkmath
6/23/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Jonathan Halabi
6/23/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Deanna Tullison
6/24/11
Read Re: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
ELEANOREVO@aol.com
6/24/11
Read Re: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Roberta M. Eisenberg
6/24/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
lvullo@ccsd-k12.org
6/24/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Ann Murray
6/24/11
Read Re: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
ELEANOREVO@aol.com
6/24/11
Read Re: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Ann Murray
6/24/11
Read Re: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Roberta M. Eisenberg
6/24/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
precopio@nycap.rr.com
6/29/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Glenn Mary
6/30/11
Read a history of regents exam errors
Brent Neeley
6/30/11
Read Re: a history of regents exam errors
Nick B
6/30/11
Read Re: a history of regents exam errors
Evan Romer
6/30/11
Read Re: a history of regents exam errors
SRothwell@e1b.org
7/1/11
Read Re: a history of regents exam errors
Nick B
6/30/11
Read RE: a history of regents exam errors
Eileen Welch
7/1/11
Read Re: a history of regents exam errors
Eileen Lane
6/21/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Menapace, Susan