Topic: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Replies: 55   Last Post: Jul 1, 2011 6:01 PM

adkmath

Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents

Hi,
I'm sorry that your students' didn't do well, but the exam was fine. I did exactly the same thing as you did. We took all three of the prior exams in class (counted as test grades). We went over every question and how to score each open ended question, I held 3 night time review sessions in which most of the kids showed up (37 out of 50). They worked their tails off during the 4th quarter to earn an advanced regents diploma. I also had 5 resource room kids, 1 foreign exchange student and at least 6 other kids that barely passed algebra 1 and geometry with a 65 or 66. I am not try to boast but my kids totally kicked the exams butt. Not only did all 47 of my kids pass, but no one scored lower than a 70% and over half of all my kids reached mastery (85% or better). The mean score was an 84.87 and 27% scored over a ninty, including a 100%. I was freaking out during the test because of the frequency average question (#24) and the exact value of sin 75 question, which we never covered in class except when they specifically ask for sin(A+B). Even though I didn't cover that style of question, I had at least 4 kids that got full credit and 4 more that got partial credit. The rest of the exam was extremely predictable and my kids came out saying that it was easy. The regents is totally a valid test. There needs to be a couple of tricky questions that are different from all the other years to seperate the top students.
I do not teach in a low needs district. i have kids some kids with very weak math skills and others with terrible home lives. Other teachers and other schools near by did not do as well.
If you reviewed the same old exams as we did, the difference must be how you reviewed. The key to my students' success (100% passing 4 years in a row, 3 Math B's and 1 algebra 2/trig) is in how we review. I put major pressure on them by grading everything we do and I don't use the curve. They work hard and see me for extra help or their 4th quarter averages are extremely low. With maximum effort from the kids, and with a few motivation talks about earning a "special diploma", the kids do great.
How can you complain about the test when it had a 14 point curve (at the passing point) and 80 percent of the questions where on the same topics as the last 3 exams? We were counting on a regression question for 4 points, and a trig equation for 4 or 6 points, but we didn't get it. If they make the exam exactly the same every year, it would be too easy. I tell my kids that only about 70% of the kids in NY State pass this exam and if they work very hard and listen to me, they will all pass.....and they did. I am very proud of them, especially the ones that got a 70 when they can't even multiply single digit numbers without a calculator.
This exam is more than fair, figure out a way to teach and review better and your scores will go up.
Good luck.

> Thank you for verbalizing what I have been saying to
> myself all day today.
> I am so bummed out - worse results I have ever had.
> I feel I have let down
> my students. I reviewed so much trig and algebra 2
> skills. I held many
> after-school and weekend review sessions. Many of my
> borderline students
> were feeling very confident but left the exam feeling
> so defeated. I no
> longer feel the regents is a valid test. I, too,
> will contact state ed.
>
> Mary

Date Subject Author
6/20/11
Read Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Jayson Kiang
6/20/11
Read Re: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
rhoffman@wacs2.wnyric.org
6/21/11
Read Re: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Jessica
6/21/11
Read Re: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Jonathan Halabi
6/21/11
Read RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Mitchell, Doreen
6/21/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Lin Chen
6/21/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Steve Grey
precopio@nycap.rr.com
6/21/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Kathy
6/22/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Glenn Mary
6/23/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
adkmath
6/23/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Jonathan Halabi
6/23/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Deanna Tullison
6/24/11
Read Re: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
ELEANOREVO@aol.com
6/24/11
Read Re: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Roberta M. Eisenberg
6/24/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
lvullo@ccsd-k12.org
6/24/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Ann Murray
6/24/11
Read Re: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
ELEANOREVO@aol.com
6/24/11
Read Re: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Ann Murray
6/24/11
Read Re: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Roberta M. Eisenberg
6/24/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
precopio@nycap.rr.com
6/29/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Glenn Mary
6/30/11
Read a history of regents exam errors
Brent Neeley
6/30/11
Read Re: a history of regents exam errors
Nick B
6/30/11
Read Re: a history of regents exam errors
Evan Romer
6/30/11
Read Re: a history of regents exam errors
SRothwell@e1b.org
7/1/11
Read Re: a history of regents exam errors
Nick B
6/30/11
Read RE: a history of regents exam errors
Eileen Welch
7/1/11
Read Re: a history of regents exam errors
Eileen Lane
6/21/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Menapace, Susan