Replies: 1   Last Post: Jun 24, 2011 12:43 AM

Josh Tabor

RE: [ap-stat] Things I learned from the 2011 AP Statstics reading

Hi Dennis-

I agree that the tense of the conclusion is not the most important thing-it
is certainly possible to have a correct conclusion in the past tense.

Here are some examples:

* If a presidential approval poll was done in August 2009 and we
constructed a CI for the president's approval rating, it would be wrong to
make a generalization about "the proportion of US adults who said they
approved of the president's performance in August 2009" because this is
clearly referring to the sample.

* A better, but somewhat ambiguous conclusion would be about the
"proportion of US adults who approved of the president's performance in
August 2009." In this case, it is unclear if the group that "approved" is
the sample or the population. Saying "all US adults" would make this much
better, even in past tense.

* A better conclusion would be about "the proportion of all US
adults who would have said "approve" had they been asked about the
president's job performance in August 2009."

My point in the original email was that when a conclusion/interpretation is
in the past tense, this is often a clue that the student might be
misunderstanding the difference between the statistic and the parameter.
But, you are right that the most important thing is to clearly identify the
population/parameter regardless of the tense.

Josh

_____