Topic: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Replies: 55   Last Post: Jul 1, 2011 6:01 PM

Evan Romer

Re: a history of regents exam errors

I agree that cos^-1 represents the inverse trig function (and the
glossary says so also). So its range should be [0,pi].

But even if you grant that cos^-1 represents the inverse of cos, not
necessarily the inverse function of cos, then the range should be all
real numbers.

So under either interpretation of cos^-1, there is no correct choice
given. There is no interpretation of cos^-1 for which the range is
[0,2pi].

Evan Romer
Susquehanna Valley HS

On Jun 30, 2011, at 8:08AM, Nick B wrote:

> What about #19 this year, with no correct answer?
>
> There was a Newsday article published about the errors on the test,
> and the focus was on #19. Some had commented on the online version
> of the article saying that inverse cosine doesn't have to be a
> function; however, we can go to the NYSDOE Glossary for grades 9-12
> to see that assertion is false, even according to the state:
>
> http://www.jmap.org/JMAP/SupportFiles/NYS-NYCDOEDocuments/Math/Glossaries/NYSDOE_Glossary_Grades_9-12.pdf
>
> (Page 42) inverse trigonometric functions (A2T) Given the value of a
> trigonometric function for an angle ?, the inverse trigonometric
> function outputs the measure of angle ?. The inverses of the six
> basic trigonometric functions are written as sin-1, cos-1, tan-1,
> csc-1, sec-1, and cot-1.
>
> While that is a lousy definition, the state is clearly defining the
> ^-1 notation as the inverse function. None of the choices in #19 is
> a function. I happen to know the people at Stony Brook University
> in the Newsday article personally and ALL are fantastic
> mathematicians and teachers and would not lead us astray.
> *
*

Date Subject Author
6/20/11
Read Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Jayson Kiang
6/20/11
Read Re: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
rhoffman@wacs2.wnyric.org
6/21/11
Read Re: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Jessica
6/21/11
Read Re: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Jonathan Halabi
6/21/11
Read RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Mitchell, Doreen
6/21/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Lin Chen
6/21/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Steve Grey
precopio@nycap.rr.com
6/21/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Kathy
6/22/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Glenn Mary
6/23/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
adkmath
6/23/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Jonathan Halabi
6/23/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Deanna Tullison
6/24/11
Read Re: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
ELEANOREVO@aol.com
6/24/11
Read Re: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Roberta M. Eisenberg
6/24/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
lvullo@ccsd-k12.org
6/24/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Ann Murray
6/24/11
Read Re: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
ELEANOREVO@aol.com
6/24/11
Read Re: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Ann Murray
6/24/11
Read Re: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Roberta M. Eisenberg
6/24/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
precopio@nycap.rr.com
6/29/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Glenn Mary
6/30/11
Read a history of regents exam errors
Brent Neeley
6/30/11
Read Re: a history of regents exam errors
Nick B
6/30/11
Read Re: a history of regents exam errors
Evan Romer
6/30/11
Read Re: a history of regents exam errors
SRothwell@e1b.org
7/1/11
Read Re: a history of regents exam errors
Nick B
6/30/11
Read RE: a history of regents exam errors
Eileen Welch
7/1/11
Read Re: a history of regents exam errors
Eileen Lane
6/21/11
Read Re: RE: Algebra 2/Trig Regents
Menapace, Susan