Topic: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Replies: 37   Last Post: Sep 27, 2013 6:54 AM

Oliver Woodford

Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.

"mathias" wrote:
> the reinterpret_cast loose the type_id and therefore handling object of a class hierarchy through the mother_class and dynamic_cast is made difficult.
>
> For instance, imagine the class hierachy :
> class A {};
> class B : public A{};
> class C : public B {};
>
> imagine in "mex_function1 " you create
> B * pB = new B();
> C * pC = new C();
>
> then you send the pointers to matlab, and provide the pointer back to another mex function "mex_function2", and want to use a A * interface :
> A * pA = createObjectPointerFromMxArray(prhs[0)
>
> and later on :
>
> pB * = dynamic_cast<B*>(pA) ;
> if(NULL!=pB) etc .....
>
> This will not work, since the type_id of the object is lost

I'm not sure I completely understand. If you created an instance of class B and sent it's pointer to MATLAB, why wouldn't you cast it back to a class B pointer when you re-enter a mex file?

If you want to make sure that you are casting a pointer to the correct type then you could use my wrapper class which uses a signature (code given in an earlier thread), and have a different signature for each type.

Oliver

Date Subject Author
4/1/10
Read Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Oliver Woodford
6/7/10
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Anthony Halley
6/8/10
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Oliver Woodford
6/8/10
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Oliver Woodford
6/8/10
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Walter Roberson
6/8/10
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Anthony Halley
6/8/10
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Oliver Woodford
1/22/11
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
newuser asdf
1/22/11
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Bruno Luong
1/23/11
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Rune Allnor
1/23/11
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Bruno Luong
1/23/11
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
newuser asdf
1/24/11
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Oliver Woodford
2/3/11
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Pierre
2/3/11
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Oliver Woodford
2/3/11
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Pierre
2/3/11
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Oliver Woodford
2/15/11
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Pierre
7/6/11
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
mathias
7/6/11
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Oliver Woodford
5/24/12
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Ajay
5/25/12
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Pierre
10/2/12
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Oliver Woodford
11/7/12
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Francesco Montorsi
11/8/12
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Oliver Woodford
11/9/12
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Oliver Woodford
1/21/13
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Oliver Woodford
1/22/13
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Oliver Woodford
1/30/13
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Gabri Gwala
1/30/13
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Steven Lord
1/31/13
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Oliver Woodford
9/22/13
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Gabri Gwala
9/22/13
Read Re: Making C++ objects persistent between mex calls, and robust.
Gabri Gwala
9/27/13