Topic: dirac delta function is not a TRUE function??
Replies: 11   Last Post: Jul 19, 2011 11:08 PM

Gerry Myerson

Re: dirac delta function is not a TRUE function??

In article
<4c1e3a16-63c5-470a-b617-8528f4005a6a@u6g2000prc.googlegroups.com>,
MBALOVER <mbalover9@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> From WIKI, I learn that dirac delta function is not a true function.
> However, I do not understand the explanation in WIKI and still get
> confused, why it is not a TRUE function.
>
> Could you please help me to understand it?
>
> Thank you.

A function from a set A to a set B is an assignment of
an element of B to each element of A.

If A and B are not specified, it is often assumed that both
are taken to be the set R of real numbers.

The Dirac delta function does not assign a real number to zero,
and is thus not a true function.

--
Gerry Myerson (gerry@maths.mq.edi.ai) (i -> u for email)