Topic: dirac delta function is not a TRUE function??
Replies: 11   Last Post: Jul 19, 2011 11:08 PM

mbalover9@gmail.com

Re: dirac delta function is not a TRUE function??

On Jul 11, 7:36 pm, Gerry Myerson <ge...@maths.mq.edi.ai.i2u4email>
wrote:
> In article
> <4c1e3a16-63c5-470a-b617-8528f4005...@u6g2000prc.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  MBALOVER <mbalov...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Hi all,
>
> > From WIKI, I learn that dirac delta function is not a true function.
> > However, I do not understand the explanation in WIKI and still get
> > confused, why it is not a TRUE function.

> > Could you please help me to understand it?
>
> > Thank you.
>
> A function from a set A to a set B is an assignment of
> an element of B to each element of A.
>
> If A and B are not specified, it is often assumed that both
> are taken to be the set R of real numbers.
>
> The Dirac delta function does not assign a real number to zero,
> and is thus not a true function.
>
> --
> Gerry Myerson (ge...@maths.mq.edi.ai) (i -> u for email)

Thanks Gerry. But I am still confused. I think at x = 0, delta(x) =
infinity. If so, y = -log(0) = + infinity too. Is y = - log(x) Not a
true function?

Thanks