Topic: dirac delta function is not a TRUE function??
Replies: 11   Last Post: Jul 19, 2011 11:08 PM

Frederick Williams

Re: dirac delta function is not a TRUE function??

MBALOVER wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> From WIKI, I learn that dirac delta function is not a true function.
> However, I do not understand the explanation in WIKI and still get
> confused, why it is not a TRUE function.

There is no function delta, in the usual sense of the word function,
such that

delta(x) = 0 if x =/= 0

and

int_-infty^+infty delta(x) dx = 1

> Could you please help me to understand it?

It may be understood as a distribution, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distribution_(mathematics).