Topic: A2/Trig #29
Replies: 11   Last Post: Jul 29, 2011 12:51 PM

Jonathan Halabi

Re: NYS Mathematics Regents Exams
att1.html (2.4 K)

Brent,

Thank you for the letter, and for the considerable effort that went into it.

One additional angle worth mentioning: the number of indicators for Algebra
and Algebra 2 could (should!) be reduced. If the courses had 60 - 80
indicators each, the exams would match what is taught more closely.

Unfortunately, we have write-only standards, ie, things are added, but never
taken away. It is time to think about addressing some trimming. Algebra has
too many non-Algebra topic. And Algebra 2 is kitchen sink, much as B was
before it. I'd like to see some discussion on what could, or what should be
removed. (I have my own opinions, but getting some reduction would be more
important than which reduction we got).

Tuesday I was at a panel where one of the primary authors of the Common Core
spoke. He addressed what they are attempting in K-8 math: reducing the
number of topics to allow more in-depth study. I approached him after, and
asked "what about 9-12?" He was apologetic, and said they were working on
something... Perhaps a recommended curriculum? In any event, it's worth
taking a look at their standards (still kitchen sinkish, but I think you can
see what can be removed) http://www.corestandards.org/ and considering in
advance how we could narrow topics to allow more depth in the remaining
ones.

Jonathan Halabi
HS of American Studies
the Bronx