The Math Forum

Topic: dirac delta function is not a TRUE function??
Replies: 11   Last Post: Jul 19, 2011 11:08 PM

Michael Stemper

Re: dirac delta function is not a TRUE function??

In article <>, Gerry Myerson <> writes:
>In article <ivn53v$7e1$>, (Michael Stemper) wrote:

>> >Thanks Gerry. But I am still confused. I think at x =3D 0, delta(x) =
>> >infinity.

>> That's one way of looking at it -- in fact it's the one that I was
>> taught while studying electical engineering. However, look more
>> carefully at what was said: "... does not assign a real number to
>> zero ...".
>> There is no real number called "infinity".

>You could try to think of delta as a function
>from the reals to the extended reals, the extended
>reals being "the reals union infinity", but that
>won't help you to understand why
>integral from minus infinity to infinity of f(x) delta(x) dx
>is f(0).

It's been a long time since I studied this, but isn't that true for
the integral from minus epsilon to epsilon (for any positive epsilon),
as well?

Michael F. Stemper
#include <Standard_Disclaimer>
Life's too important to take seriously.