Topic: a contradiction worth reading (unless a silly mistake was made)
Replies: 73   Last Post: Jul 24, 2011 8:55 PM

quasi

Re: a contradiction worth reading (unless a silly mistake was made)

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 17:50:35 -0500, quasi <quasi@null.set> wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 16:11:22 -0500, quasi <quasi@null.set> wrote:
>

>>Conjecture:
>>
>>If p is prime with p = 3 (mod 4) and (p-1)/2 also prime, then
>>for all integers x,y with x,y not congruent to 0,1,-1 (mod p),
>>
>>the sets
>>
>> {x^(2^i) (mod p), i = 1,2,3, ...}
>>
>> {y^(2^j) (mod p), j = 1,2,3, ...}
>>
>>have the same number of elements.

>It's true -- I can prove it.
>
>But for now, I'll leave it as a challenge.

To Simon Roberts:

The above result, while elementary, is (I think) interesting
and not entirely trivial, so your ideas did lead to something
worthwhile.

quasi

Date Subject Author
7/19/11
Read a contradiction worth reading (unless a silly mistake was made)
Simon Roberts
7/19/11
Read Re: a contradiction worth reading (unless a silly mistake was made)
Simon Roberts
7/19/11
Read Re: a contradiction worth reading (unless a silly mistake was made)
Simon Roberts
7/19/11
Read Re: a contradiction worth reading (unless a silly mistake was made)
byron
[...]
7/20/11
Read Re: a contradiction worth reading (unless a silly mistake was made)
quasi
7/20/11
Read Re: a contradiction worth reading (unless a silly mistake was made)
quasi
7/20/11
Read Re: a contradiction worth reading (unless a silly mistake was made)
Simon Roberts
7/20/11
Read Re: a contradiction worth reading (unless a silly mistake was made)
quasi
7/20/11
Read This beautiful proof vs. my convoluted one
Simon Roberts
7/20/11
Read Re: This beautiful proof vs. my convoluted one
tommyrjensen@gmail.com
[...]
7/22/11
[...]
7/24/11
[...]
7/23/11
[...]
Bill Dubuque
7/24/11
Read Re: a contradiction worth reading (unless a silly mistake was made)
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/23/11