Topic: a contradiction worth reading (unless a silly mistake was made)
Replies: 73   Last Post: Jul 24, 2011 8:55 PM

quasi

Re: a contradiction worth reading (unless a silly mistake was made)

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 19:16:52 -0700 (PDT), Simon Roberts
<2assume@gmail.com> wrote:

>Say the set S = {1,2,3,...,(n-2),(n-1)}.
>Then if we squared each element x_i in S, we would get a new
>set S' (with (n-1)/2 elements) whose elements would be
>x_i)^2 mod n. Note we are assuming (n-1)/2 is odd, so
>n = 3 mod 4. If we square each element in S'
>((x_i)^2)^2 mod n we would end up with the same exact set S'
>and so on.
>
>Do you agree with this statement?

Yes, assuming also that n is a prime. Actually, it still holds
if n is a product of an odd number of primes all congruent to
3 (mod 4). By the way -- usually the letter p is used to
emphasize that a variable is prime.

One of my main complaints with your "statements" is that you
assume things not stated. Can't you make a complete statement?
Why do I always have to do it for you?

Here's what you're claiming now:

Proposition:

If p is prime with p = 3 (mod 4), then the sets

{x^2 (mod p) | x = 1,2,3 ... (p-1)}

{x^4 (mod p) | x = 1,2,3 ... (p-1)}

are equal.

Remark:

The above claim is true and is easily proved, but that does
_not_ yield a proof of your prior claim:

False Proposition:

If p is prime with p = 3 (mod 4), then for all integers x,y
not congruent to 0,1,-1 (mod p), the sets

{x^(2^i) (mod p) | i = 1,2,3 ...}

{y^(2^j) (mod p) | j = 1,2,3 ...}

are equal.

Counterexample: p = 19.

quasi

Date Subject Author
7/19/11
Read a contradiction worth reading (unless a silly mistake was made)
Simon Roberts
7/19/11
Read Re: a contradiction worth reading (unless a silly mistake was made)
Simon Roberts
7/19/11
Read Re: a contradiction worth reading (unless a silly mistake was made)
Simon Roberts
7/19/11
Read Re: a contradiction worth reading (unless a silly mistake was made)
byron
[...]
7/20/11
Read Re: a contradiction worth reading (unless a silly mistake was made)
quasi
7/20/11
Read Re: a contradiction worth reading (unless a silly mistake was made)
quasi
7/20/11
Read Re: a contradiction worth reading (unless a silly mistake was made)
Simon Roberts
7/20/11
Read Re: a contradiction worth reading (unless a silly mistake was made)
quasi
7/20/11
Read This beautiful proof vs. my convoluted one
Simon Roberts
7/20/11
Read Re: This beautiful proof vs. my convoluted one
tommyrjensen@gmail.com
[...]
7/22/11
[...]
7/24/11
[...]
7/23/11
[...]
Bill Dubuque
7/24/11
Read Re: a contradiction worth reading (unless a silly mistake was made)
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/23/11