Topic: Calculator Policy
Replies: 10   Last Post: Aug 8, 2011 7:26 PM

Ann Murray

Re: Calculator Policy
att1.html (2.2 K)

Yes..thanks... I did see that announcement come through the list. But I
think the wheels are in motion at my school and they have committed to
change the schedule.
On Aug 3, 2011 7:09 PM, <msedfun@aol.com> wrote:

> Ummm check again. There was an announcement that Mayor Bloomberg from NYC

has received 1.5 million dollars in donations to place the January regents
back on the schedule. Naturally, his comments were that he did this for the
"greater good of the students", but it sounded very self-serving to me.
After all, if the January regents aren't administered, the high school drop
out rate in the city will increase.

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/144276/january-regents-exams-saved-by-private-fundraising

> Tzippy

elimination of the January Regents exams.

> And this has produced a serious calculator shortage, among other issues.
>
> I'm requesting the purchase of more, but the administration would like to

know how other schools handle the distribution of calculators. Currently, we
have class sets for Integrated Algebra and Geometry students, but issue
calculators (like textbooks) for Algebra II/Trig, PreCalculus and Calculus.

> Would you take a minute and describe how you distribute calculators - or

do you require students to purchase their own?