Topic: Re: News Alert: Bloomberg Investing $30 Million of His Money in Program to
Aid Minority Youth

Replies: 10   Last Post: Aug 5, 2011 4:52 PM

Kathy

Re: [!! SPAM] RE: # of Preps
att1.html (22.9 K)

Our school will only allow 3 (yes - school, not union. And this was only after some teachers complained they were overworked when finally asked to do their share when they were the ones that insisted that we would be fine with two less high school teachers - sorry - I'll stop venting.) unless the teacher agrees to more. I insist on more because if I didn't we could not offer quality courses outside of the basic regents courses. In a small, poor,rural school I regularly insist on 5 or 6 so that we can offer AP courses and electives for using the graphing calculator for the regents courses. All other teachers have 3 regular preps and one or two may have an AIS prep in addition. How do our kids do? We spend thousands less per student than the state average and have some of the highest regents and SAT scores in the state. I think it helps that I see the same kids for three or four years and I know in their first year what it takes to be successful in years 2, 3, and beyond. Yes - I get little sleep, but this is a calling for me not just a job. I do whatever it takes to do what's best for the kids.

Kathy Noftsier
Beaver River Central School
----- Original Message -----
From: William Wickes
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2011 11:20 AM
Subject: [!! SPAM] RE: # of Preps

Do coordinators make an effort to keep it to two .are there any studies that say what works best

From: "NYTimes.com News Alert" <nytdirect@nytimes.com>

Date: August 3, 2011 9:06:17 PM EDT

To: bobbi@alumni.nd.edu

Breaking News Alert
The New York Times
Wednesday, August 3, 2011 -- 9:03 PM EDT
-----

Bloomberg Investing $30 Million of His Money in Program to Aid Minority Youth

The administration of Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, in a blunt acknowledgment that thousands of young black and Latino men are cut off from New York's civic, educational and economic life, plans to spend nearly $130 million on far-reaching measures to improve their circumstances.

The program, the most ambitious policy push of Mr. Bloomberg's third term, would overhaul how the government interacts with a population of about 315,000 New Yorkers who are disproportionately undereducated, incarcerated and unemployed.

To pay for the endeavor in a time of fiscal austerity, the city is relying on an unusual source: Mr. Bloomberg himself, who intends to use his personal fortune to finance about a quarter of the cost, city officials said.

Read More:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/04/nyregion/new-york-plan-will-aim-to-lift-minority-youth.html?emc=na

About This E-Mail
You received this message because you are signed up to receive breaking news alerts from NYTimes.com.

To unsubscribe, change your e-mail address or to sign up for daily headlines or other newsletters, go to:
http://www.nytimes.com/email

NYTimes.com
620 Eighth Ave.
New York, NY 10018

Copyright 2011 The New York Times Company