Topic: PARCC
Replies: 16   Last Post: Aug 22, 2011 1:57 PM

ElizWaite@aol.com

Re: Geometry #21
att1.html (10.8 K)

Agreed...I see what you're saying now...
You would have preferred the question said The quadrilateral could be and then the choices.
Liz Waite

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan <jd2718@gmail.com>
To: nyshsmath <nyshsmath@mathforum.org>
Sent: Thu, Aug 18, 2011 4:45 pm
Subject: Re: Geometry #21

There's clearly a best answer. I didn't mean to raise it as a grading issue. It is, rather, a quality issue.

I am concerned that this is yet again a poorly written question. They've chosen what reads like universal language, but intended that it apply to a particular example.

And this is in a geometry course, the primary place in secondary mathematics where the distinctions between "all" and "some" and between "always," "sometimes," and "never" are taught and reinforced.

Jonathan Halabi
HS of American Studies
the Bronx

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 3:42 PM, <lboyce@pbcschools.org> wrote:

In the case of multiple choice questions I teach my students to choose the BEST answer from the choices given.

Loretta Boyce
Mathematics Teacher
Dana L West Jr Sr High School
30 Maple Ave