Topic: PARCC
Replies: 16   Last Post: Aug 22, 2011 1:57 PM

gWilkie@highlands.com

Re: Geometry #21
att1.html (13.1 K)

I remember having so many conversations about the trapezoid with a person
outside of NY ...

There is also some disagreement on the allowed number of parallel sides in a
trapezoid. At issue is whether
parallelograms<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallelogram>,
which have two pairs of parallel sides, should be counted as trapezoids.
Some authors[2] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapezoid#cite_note-1> define
a trapezoid as a quadrilateral having *exactly* one pair of parallel sides,
thereby excluding parallelograms. Other
authors[3]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapezoid#cite_note-Mathworld-2>define
a trapezoid as a quadrilateral with
*at least* one pair of parallel sides, making the parallelogram a special
type of trapezoid (along with the
rhombus<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhombus>,
the rectangle <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectangle> and the
square<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_%28geometry%29>).

Where we will have a test that will be used in many states we must make sure
we are all working from the same definition ...

Grace