Topic: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Replies: 134   Last Post: Aug 29, 2011 7:17 PM

SPQR

Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?

In article
<9b20ea7f-fdf4-4a2f-81e4-f7552989433c@m4g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,
Graham Cooper <grahamcooper7@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 20, 1:01 pm, SPQR <S...@roman.gov> wrote:
> > In article
> > <4ae2b135-dda0-45be-a247-0562bb92c...@g39g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
> >  Graham Cooper <grahamcoop...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Right.  Let's try again in ternary to avoid the dual representation
> > > problem.

> > > Assume I have a ternary list of all reals, T0.
> >
> > > My Quantum Computer won't actually output T0, but if I input a
> > > parameter 1, 2, 3, ... it will output some permutation of T0 like T1,
> > > T2, T3...  these LISTS are all from the same SET of reals!

> > > We can assume Tn = Tn-1.Rowswap(a,b) where a and b are two Naturals.
> >
> > > So rather than give you the full 9 partial lists, here are the 9
> > > DIAGONALS I computed from

> > > D1 = 0. T1[1,1] . T1[2,2] . T1[3,3] . ....
> > > D2 = 0. T2[1,1] . T2[2,2] . T2[3,3] . ....

> > > in the usual fashion.
> >
> > > D1 = 0.00111111111222222222...
> > > D2 = 0.01111111111222222222...
> > > D3 = 0.02111111111222222222...
> > > D4 = 0.10111111111222222222...
> > > D5 = 0.11111111111222222222...
> > > D6 = 0.12111111111222222222...
> > > D7 = 0.20111111111222222222...
> > > D8 = 0.21111111111222222222...
> > > D9 = 0.22111111111222222222...

> > > I can output infinitely many of the LISTS T1, T2, T3, ... (different
> > > permutations of the same set of reals) and also output infinitely many
> > > DIAGONALS D1, D2, D3, ... which correspond to LISTS T1, T2, T3, ...

> > > So given these 9 diagonals from permutations of T0, do you still claim
> > > to be able to calculate some missing reals?  If so, what are they?

> > > Herc
> >
> > In order for the Cantor diagonal argument to be correctly modifiable to
> > a list of real number representations in positional notation, one must
> > use a base of at least 4 or use successive pairs of digits instread of
> > single digits.
> >
> > Thus you base three example is cooked unless you use pairs of digits.
> >
> > Taking digits in pairs, which one could do for any base from 2  on up,
> > in the diagonal one replaces the nth pair according to the nth pair of
> > the nth listed entry in the list, replacing every pair but 01 by 01 and
> > replacing 01 by 10.
> >
> > For your list:
> > D1 = 0.00 11 11 11 11 12 22 22 22 22 ...
> > D2 = 0.01 11 11 11 11 12 22 22 22 22 ...
> > D3 = 0.02 11 11 11 11 12 22 22 22 22 ...
> > D4 = 0.10 11 11 11 11 12 22 22 22 22 ...
> > D5 = 0.11 11 11 11 11 12 22 22 22 22 ...
> > D6 = 0.12 11 11 11 11 12 22 22 22 22 ...
> > D7 = 0.20 11 11 11 11 12 22 22 22 22 ...
> > D8 = 0.21 11 11 11 11 12 22 22 22 22 ...
> > D9 = 0.22 11 11 11 11 12 22 22 22 22 ...
> > Then
> > AD = 0.01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01  ... is the anti-diagonal so far.

> Lets say you have a diagonal
>
> D = 0.1222222222....
>
> which equals 0.2000000....

But using a proper method, such as I described above but you apparently
didi not read or could not comprehend, such a diagonal is impossible to
produce, since every digit pair will necessarily be either a 01 pair or
a 10 pair.

> How are you getting a dual representation in ternary?

Using digit pairing, one never does.

> ----------------------------------
>
> this is NOT A LIST of all reals.
>

> > > D1 = 0.00111111111222222222...
> > > D2 = 0.01111111111222222222...
> > > D3 = 0.02111111111222222222...
> > > D4 = 0.10111111111222222222...
> > > D5 = 0.11111111111222222222...
> > > D6 = 0.12111111111222222222...
> > > D7 = 0.20111111111222222222...
> > > D8 = 0.21111111111222222222...
> > > D9 = 0.22111111111222222222...

> It would be appreciated if you actually read my posts first.

I did and do, but have ignored and will continue to ignore most of what
is posted in them as irrelevant to the issue of uncountability and
Cantor's proofs of it

> Herc

Date Subject Author
8/13/11
Read Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Graham Cooper
8/13/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Rupert
8/14/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
SPQR
8/14/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Rupert
8/14/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
SPQR
8/14/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Rupert
8/14/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Frederick Williams
8/14/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Graham Cooper
8/15/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Graham Cooper
8/20/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Rupert
8/20/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Graham Cooper
8/20/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Graham Cooper
8/20/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
SPQR
8/15/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Porky Pig Jr
8/17/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Graham Cooper
8/17/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
at1with0
8/17/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Jim Burns
8/18/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Transfer Principle
8/17/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
8/17/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
SPQR
8/17/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
at1with0
8/18/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Graham Cooper
8/18/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
SPQR
8/18/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
at1with0
8/19/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
8/19/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
SPQR
8/20/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Virgil
8/20/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
8/20/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
SPQR
8/20/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Graham Cooper
8/20/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
SPQR
8/18/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
8/19/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
hagman
8/19/11
[...]
8/21/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
SPQR
8/21/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Peter Webb
8/21/11
[...]
donstockbauer@hotmail.com
8/14/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Marshall
8/15/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Graham Cooper
8/14/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Transfer Principle
8/17/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
master1729
8/18/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Transfer Principle
8/14/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Newberry
8/17/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Transfer Principle
8/16/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
DBatchelo1
8/17/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Graham Cooper
8/17/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Dan Christensen
8/18/11
[...]
8/29/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
|-| E R C
8/29/11