Topic: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Replies: 134   Last Post: Aug 29, 2011 7:17 PM

SPQR

Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?

In article
<495dfe77-4526-4181-a77e-d167d4bdac25@u20g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 20 Aug., 23:38, Jim Burns <burns...@osu.edu> wrote:
>

> > Start with a listing of real numbers, ANY listing of real numbers,
> > complete, incomplete, whatever. Use the listing to construct a
> > real number that is NOT the first entry of the listing, NOT the
> > second entry, NOT the third entry, and so on. ("And so on" is
> > critical.) In fact, you can construct a real number that is NOT ANY
> > of the entries in the list. It is not in the list. Therefore,
> > THAT listing is NOT complete. What have we assumed about the listing?
> > ONLY that it is a listing of real numbers.

> No. In the first place we have assumed that Forall n in |N is a
> sensible quantifier application.
> Forall n in |N means that there is no natural number missing.
> On the other hand we have:
> For all n in |N: The set {1, 2, 3, ..., n} is not |N.
> On the contrary:
> For all n in |N: there are infinitely many natural numbers missing in
> {1, 2, 3, ..., n}.
> For all n in |N: there remain infinitely many lines in Cantor's list
> that are not checked.

Since we have a general rule for checking which checks all lines
simultaneously, which lines do you claim are exempt from that general
rule.

Example: "For all n in |N, n + 1 is greater than n" is a general rule
which is true for all n in |N, so has no exceptions at all.

So when a rule wish works correctly for every line is applied, for which
lines does WM claim it does NOT apply?

> > Therefore, we have proven
> > that ANY listing of real numbers is an INCOMPLETE listing of real
> > numbers.

> More than that: Any listing of natural numbers is incomplete. It is
> impossible to check it completely.

How is "f:|N --> |N : n |--> n" incomplete? It certainly "lists" every
natural number.

Date Subject Author
8/13/11
Read Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Graham Cooper
8/13/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Rupert
8/14/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
SPQR
8/14/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Rupert
8/14/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
SPQR
8/14/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Rupert
8/14/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Frederick Williams
8/14/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Graham Cooper
8/15/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Graham Cooper
8/20/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Rupert
8/20/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Graham Cooper
8/20/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Graham Cooper
8/20/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
SPQR
8/15/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Porky Pig Jr
8/17/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Graham Cooper
8/17/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
at1with0
8/17/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Jim Burns
8/18/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Transfer Principle
8/17/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
8/17/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
SPQR
8/17/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
at1with0
8/18/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Graham Cooper
8/18/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
SPQR
8/18/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
at1with0
8/19/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
8/19/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
SPQR
8/20/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Virgil
8/20/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
8/20/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
SPQR
8/20/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Graham Cooper
8/20/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
SPQR
8/18/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
8/19/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
hagman
8/19/11
[...]
8/21/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
SPQR
8/21/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Peter Webb
8/21/11
[...]
donstockbauer@hotmail.com
8/14/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Marshall
8/15/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Graham Cooper
8/14/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Transfer Principle
8/17/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
master1729
8/18/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Transfer Principle
8/14/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Newberry
8/17/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Transfer Principle
8/16/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
DBatchelo1
8/17/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Graham Cooper
8/17/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
Dan Christensen
8/18/11
[...]
8/29/11
Read Re: Who's up for a friendly round of debating CANTORS PROOF?
|-| E R C
8/29/11