The Math Forum

Topic: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Replies: 69   Last Post: Apr 6, 2012 9:58 PM

Clyde Greeno @ MALEI

Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash

Alain, Roy, et al:

Unfortunately, the greater and more serious dilemma is that "Khan
mathematics" is a relatively accurate picture of what today's American
public (and most of its educators) have been led to mean by "mathematics"
and by "education in mathematics". That is largely why the USA lags in
mathematics ... and why most students flee from the mathematics curriculum
ASAP ... and why most Americans become victims of "math anxiety" before
ceasing their formal schooling. Quite bluntly, it is a woefully UNHEALTHY
kind of robotic training.

The only hope is for the college/university community to catalyze nationwide
dissemination and use of healthier, enlightened, and more realistic
perceptions of what "education" in "mathematics" SHOULD be all about. But
alas, most college/university professors were reared through Khan-type
"education" in Kahn-type "mathematics" ... and their proposed "educational
reforms" typically are about how to more effectively produce Khan-type
"education" in Khan-type "mathematics". Does any other nation rely on a
better perception of "education in mathematics"?

So, the impetus for nationwide reorientation must come from a
college/university *minority* whose humanitarian concerns ... couched in
sociological, philosophical, and psychomathematical considerations ... are
strong enough to override the traditions through which they arrived. Is any
such "fratority" even on the visible horizon?

Might the cyber-visibility and the increasing notoriety of "Khan mathematics
education" catalyze the sorely needed backlash ... through emergence of the
needed conclave? Who would even want to belong to such an academic
fellowship for re-orienting American education in mathematics?

Wishfully,
Clyde