Topic: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Replies: 69   Last Post: Apr 6, 2012 9:58 PM

Norman Wildberger

RE: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash >and an
alternative

There are a lot of other efforts out there in the YouTube direction, so
one shouldn't generalize too quickly.

In particular my colleague Chris Tisdell (user DrChrisTisdell) has some
very well recieved videos on first and second year calculus. I have a
series on the History of Mathematics (user njwildberger) that might be
interesting to those wishing a more holistic/historical approach to the
stuff we teach our students. I also have a series (WildLinAlg) on Linear
Algebra that is not mainstream, but still covers a lot of important
material.

Norman Wildberger

> Although I am not a 'fan' of the Khan videos, I am sure that mathematics
> is not any more threatened by them . than we are by our own history.
>

> I would encourage people to take a look at some of the efforts to replace
> what history has provided with something more powerful for our students.
> My own efforts have focused on developmental mathematics, such as the New
> Life project:
>

> Wiki (open to all) http://dm-live.wikispaces.com/
>

> Blog (open to all) http://www.devmathrevival.net/
>

> The New Life project of AMATYC is very closely related to the "Pathways"
> efforts of the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching
> (http://www.carnegiefoundation.org/developmental-math); the QuantwayT and
> StatwayT curriculum imbed the same learning outcomes as the New Life
> 'Mathematical Literacy for College Students' (>90% overlap in outcomes).
>

> Comparable 'movements' have been around for mathematics above
> developmental; in particular, AMATYC has a "right stuff" project for
> college algebra (as opposed to pre-calculus). See
> www.therightstuff.amatyc.org/ <http://www.therightstuff.amatyc.org/>
>

> Don't waste time and effort whining about some media sensation; don't
> waste time and effort worrying about whether the latest fad will finally
> exterminate all vestiges of intelligence among our students. DO something
> to build a better world, starting in your own classrooms and departments.
>

> Jack Rotman
>
> Professor, Department of Mathematics
>
> Lansing Community College
>
> (517)483-1079 rotmanj@lcc.edu <mailto:rotmanj@lcc.edu>
>
> www.devmathevival.net

Date Subject Author
8/20/11
Read Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Domenico Rosa
9/6/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Susan
9/6/11
Read RE: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Petrak, Daniel G.
9/6/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Guy Brandenburg
9/6/11
Read RE: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Lynne Ipina
9/7/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Guy Brandenburg
9/7/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Alain Schremmer
9/12/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Domenico Rosa
9/12/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
9/13/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Domenico Rosa
9/6/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
R. Wright
9/6/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Alain Schremmer
9/7/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
9/7/11
Read RE: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Petrak, Daniel G.
9/7/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Revathi Narasimhan
9/7/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Kathleen Almy
9/7/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Alain Schremmer
9/8/11
Read RE: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash >and an
alternative
RotmanJ
[...]
9/14/11
[...]
Registrar@mathsense.org
9/15/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Domenico Rosa
9/16/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
9/16/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Alain Schremmer
9/17/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
9/19/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Alain Schremmer
9/19/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Alain Schremmer
9/15/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Guy Brandenburg
9/14/11
Read new math, new physics: Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Guy Brandenburg
9/13/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Edward (Ed) D. Laughbaum
9/13/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Alain Schremmer
9/13/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Edward (Ed) D. Laughbaum
9/13/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Alain Schremmer
9/13/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Wayne Mackey
4/6/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Mark Riggs
4/6/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral >dif-EQ
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
9/8/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
John Nicholson
9/9/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
John Nicholson
10/17/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Domenico Rosa
1/10/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
DanP
1/10/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Alain Schremmer
1/11/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
DanP
1/11/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Alain Schremmer
1/11/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
DanP
1/11/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Alain Schremmer
1/12/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
DanP
1/12/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
John Tapper
1/12/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Alain Schremmer
1/12/12
Read RE: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
RotmanJ
1/12/12
Read Re: RE: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
DanP
1/18/12